Preparing For Your Visit

In order to successfully prepare your taxes, your VITA volunteer will need access to several types of personal identification and tax documents.  Please review this list and gather all of your relevant documents prior to your VITA appointment.

Proof of Identification, Birth Dates and Social Security Documents
Taxpayers will need to provide Social Security documents and birth dates for all persons listed on the tax return, including dependents. Additionally, your VITA volunteer will need to see a valid form of photo identification, such as a driver’s license for the taxpayer and spouse.

Tax Documents
Be sure to bring any tax documents you received during the past year.  This may include:

  • W-2s for ALL jobs held between January 1 and December 31 of the current tax year
  • Unemployment statements
  • Social security statements
  • Bank account interest and dividend statements (1099 forms)
  • Student loan statements
  • Contributions or special purchases that may be deductible
  • Daycare tax documents, total amount paid for daycare and tax ID or social security number of daycare provider
  • Health coverage statements (Form 1095-A from marketplace insurance)
  • Pension and Retirement Statements (1099R)
  • Higher Education statements – tuition, books, supplies, student loan interest paid

Depending on your personal financial situation, your VITA volunteer may need access to other tax-related documents. If you’re in doubt about whether or not to bring a document, bring it along just in case

Previous Year’s Tax Return
If you filed a tax return last year, be sure to bring a copy of your returns.  Those who went through the VITA program last year should have a special folder that conveniently contains all of your tax documents.

Bank Account & Routing Information
The fastest way to receive a tax refund is by choosing direct deposit to a checking or savings account.  Be sure to bring either a copy of a check, or routing and account numbers for a checking or savings account.

Your Spouse (If Filing Jointly)
If you plan to file a joint tax return, you will both need to sign your official tax return.